Special Education Teacher
The Kent Center | Warwick, RI
Thrive Behavioral Health, foremerly The Kent Center, is seeking a full-time Special Education Teacher for their Briggs Community Partnership Program (BCPP). Applicants need to be willing to teach math for grade levels 9-12 and hold a RIDE Special Educator Certification.
The BCPP is a service of Thrive and is comprised of three high school classrooms located a community based satellite program for West Warwick High School. Serving students with severe behavioral and emotional needs, the satellite offers the district and their students an alternate pathway to graduation. Designed to maintain academic and social success for students entire high school career in an alternative setting. The Briggs Satellite mirrors the home district's curriculum and has a maximum capacity of 16 full-time students, 12 part-time students, with a maximum classroom size of 8 students.
Position start date is 08/13/2018.
- Develop content specific lesson plans in accordance with established curriculum and Department of Education Grade Span Expectations and Grade Level Expectations
- Teach academic courses as assigned, in correlation with written lesson plans
- Develop and monitor appropriate academic goals and short term objectives for students' Individual Education Programs (IEP)
- Conduct Educational Assessments, as warranted
- Provide behavioral support and follow established behavior management plans with students
- Maintain a daily grade/participation record and report academic progress quarterly in a manner consistent with center standards
- Assist with the physical management of physically aggressive or violent students; Completing all appropriate documentation per Department of Education regulations
- Engage students in an appropriate manner and use appropriate reinforcement techniques
- Attend and participate in daily multidisciplinary team meetings (debrief) and weekly staff meetings
- Bachelor's Degree in Teaching or Education
- Experience working with children who have behavioral or emotional disabilities
- Rhode Island Teaching certificate in K-12
- Special Education Certification
- Valid driver's license
- Medical, dental, long term disability insurance and life insurance; 401(k); flexible spending; 3 weeks' vacation; 11 paid holidays; 10 sick days per year
We are an equal opportunity employer.